> Special Olympics
Sherry Smith
post May 16 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Special Olympics

Those of you who know me, know that I am busy 24 seven and always very scheduled. Every year in April/May the Special Olympics comes around. I have volunteered with the power lifting portion for the last 5+ years. My very good friend Danny (whose wife is a very gifted Special Education teacher) got me involved. It always sneaks up on me and I usually have only had a week (at best) notice. Every year it comes down to the decision to cancel an entire day or put off volunteering. This year was no exception. As with past years, I put aside my schedule to spend the day at the Special Olympics and once again, I made the right decision. The experience always reminds me to count my blessings and keep life simple. These are some of the finest athletes in talent, heart and spirit that I have ever had the opportunity to work with. Each of them brings their own very special gifts. Like Chris, who can bench twice his body weight—easily. Or Matt, who dedicates each and every lift to someone he loves. As a volunteer, I am there for the athletes, this is their day and I am so blessed they are willing to share it with me. The funny thing about it is these athletes make me feel so important and so loved. You could never understand how positive an environment the Special Olympics exudes unless you experience it for yourself. For more information on how YOU can volunteer, you can go to the Special Olympics of Oklahoma website (www.sook.com) or you own local Special Olympics site.

IPB Image
The Catoosa Team

IPB Image
Big Matt!!

IPB Image
Chris Paynter

IPB Image
My girl Amber and me

--------------------
Sherry Smith - IFBB Pro
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 08:04 PM