Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2008--Sherry's News and Events
Sherry Smith
post Nov 16 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Wow! It’s almost Thanksgiving! It is amazing to me that this year has flown by so fast! …and what a bucking bronc ride it’s been for me this year. It’s been quite a year of love and loss. Yes, this year has definitely had its highs and its lows. I went back through my day planner and here are the significant points in 2008 for me.
Late in December 2007, my friend Kyra Peterson lost her battle with cancer (I miss her spirit).

January 1st, the gym where I had been training suddenly closed its doors without any explanation, leaving many of us clamoring for a place to train. It was a cold winter and Oklahoma City was still reeling from the December Ice Store that knocked out power and took down tons of trees.

In February, I lost my grandmother. She was 89. She died peacefully in her sleep. I was blessed to have her in my life for so long. She taught me a lot (things I’m still learning). We also lost long time friend and fellow NPC Competitor, Van Nguyen from a sudden illness.

In March, I started heavy training for my first try at the Oklahoma City Memorial ˝ marathon.

April was a rough month for me. It started out with my 38th birthday (ugh!). I had my car AND my business (Supplement Shak) broken into and money stolen. It ended on a happy note with me finishing my first ˝ marathon (in just under 2 hours---not bad for a slow beginner).

In May I had the opportunity to assist with the Special Olympics Powerlifting. That ALWAYS lifts my spirits!!!! I also went into heavy training for my 100 mile bike ride around Lake Tahoe (I raised $4000 for Leukemia & Lymphoma). It was a wonderful experience, I highly recommend it. As soon as I got home from Lake Tahoe, I started my prep for the Europa Supershow.

June was a great month. My god-babies (Carri Baldwin’s Triplets) turned 1! We had an awesome Luau themed birthday party. The triplets dove into their little pool and then dove into (literally) their birthday cake. The Oklahoman Bodybuilding Show was also in June. I was an expediter. It was (and always is) a great show.

July was uneventful. Prep was in full swing for the Europa.

In August, I competed in the Europa Supershow winning my weight class and securing my qualification for the Olympia. I was so excited. I knew I wanted to experience the Olympia at least one time in my Pro career. I was just happy I didn’t have to wait too long!!! ;-) Right after the Europa, I took a little trip to Europe for a wonderful photo shoot where I got some new material for my website (stay tuned)!

On September 13th, I guest posed at Darrell Terrell’s Total Package Bodybuilding Classis (see my excerpt about the show in “guest posing”).
The end of September was the Olympia. What a great experience! I never could have imagined I would make it there in just 2 years as a Pro. I was excited and honored to be on the stage with the women who were there competing. What an adventure! It became quite a bittersweet weekend. All of the events up through the prejudging had gone well and then, out of the blue, Steve Stone, a man who expedited backstage at most of the NPC National and the big IFBB Pro Shows, died back stage at the Olympia between the women’s prejudging and night show. He was the first really kind soul I met in 1998 when I competed in my first NPC National show (USAs). The next year, in 1999, after winning the overall at the NPC Junior Nationals, I was fortunate enough to be interviewed by him for Fox Sports Net. He was always such a pleasure to be around and as a competitor you knew all your needs would be met. He will be sorely missed!!!
The Sunday I returned from the Olympia, I found out that my very close friend Johnathan Hall (who had done my hair and makeup at every show I attended since 2003-but was unable to make it with me to the Olympia) had died suddenly and unexpectedly. What a shock! Another wonderful, beautiful, talented soul that will be missed!

I stayed on my diet in October so I could guest pose on October 18th for Roland Huff’s Body B1 1st Annual Bodybuilding Classic (see my excerpt about the show in “guest posing”). Bodybuilding also lost the great Ben Weider this weekend. He too, will be missed.

On October 24th, I attended a grand Masquerade Ball to benefit Faith Hospice, a wonderful charity that my good friend Wendi Waggoner works for. It was at The Castle Falls Restaurant in Oklahoma City (which serves the BEST German Cuisine). Everyone was dressed to the gills and in beautiful masks. Fun was had by all with the celebration kicking off with fire twirlers. Everyone then, ate, drank, and danced the night away. I didn’t want to turn into a pumpkin, so I left at a fairly decent hour.

The next day I had to expedite the Red River Bodybuilding Classic in Norman. Oklahoma. As usual, because for many, this is the last chance to qualify for NPC Nationals in November, the competition was Fierce!!!!

On Halloween, I tried out my “steer wrangling” skills and assisted a friend of mine at his team roping rodeo. I was in charge of chasing the steers back into the shoot and then removing any rope that was still stuck to them. Not a hard job…but this city girl had a BLAST!

November brought in the Presidential Election and the win for Obama who says "change is coming" and boy, do we need it!!!!!

On Wednesday of this week, I lost another very close friend of mine to a long battle with cancer. Danny Corn was the first person to ever photograph me as a bodybuilder (back in 1996). He encouraged me (as well as many other talented Female Bodybuilders from Oklahoma) to take my training to the next level. He introduced me to many people in the NPC and I met many of my very close bodybuilding friends thanks to him. He was a loving, peace-keeping man with a way of making you see everything in another (and usually better) light. He has been fighting cancer for many years and I rarely ever heard him complain. I will miss my enlightening lunches with him as well as his many words of encouragement.

So that brings us to present day. I was at the fire station yesterday and will go back tomorrow. Things are beginning to pick up speed, as the weather is starting to get cold and the holidays are approaching. I am looking forward to seeing (and reporting) what the holidays will bring. So to all my friends, keep in mind the reason for the season. I wish you the best in your preparation for the upcoming holidays.

--------------------
Sherry Smith - IFBB Pro
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 08:38 PM